
A painful accident came to light on Saturday afternoon in Anjaiah Nagar area adjacent to Hyderabad’s IT hub Madhapur and Gachibowli. Here, a seven-storey under-construction building being built illegally on a narrow plot of about 50 to 60 square yards suddenly collapsed. In this horrific accident, two migrant laborers died on the spot after being buried under the debris. The loud sound of the building collapsing created panic in the entire area and a huge cloud of dust spread. As soon as information about the accident was received, teams of police, fire department and HYDRA (Hyderabad Disaster Response and Asset Protection Agency) reached the spot and quickly started relief and rescue operations.
Bodies of 2 laborers taken out from the debris, neighboring flats also damaged
Rescue teams recovered the bodies of two laborers (Mahtab and Umesh) hailing from Madhya Pradesh from the debris, who were working on installing tiles inside the building at the time of the accident. When the seven-storey building collapsed, its heavy debris fell on another nearby multi-storey residential apartment. Due to this, many flats in the neighboring building were badly damaged and two people living there were also injured, who were immediately taken to the hospital. Keeping security in mind, other nearby buildings and flats have been evacuated as a precautionary measure.
7 floors were erected near the drain and at a distance of 50 yards without permission
The preliminary investigation into the accident has revealed gross violations of safety and construction standards. Hydra Commissioner A. V. Ranganath, after inspecting the spot, told that this building was being built on a small plot of just 50 to 60 square yards, very close to a drain. No mandatory setback rules were followed during construction. A seven-storey structure and a penthouse above was erected on such a weak foundation and narrow ground, due to which the basement of the building could not support the weight and the entire building collapsed.
The Municipal Corporation had earlier imposed a seizure, yet the work had started.
Commissioner of Cyberabad Municipal Corporation G. Srijana and local MLA Arekapudi Gandhi told that the authorities had seized this illegal construction about four months ago and stopped the work. Despite this, the builder and the landlord had recently started the basement and construction work again illegally, disregarding the rules. Before the Municipal Corporation could take further action, this horrific accident occurred.
Strict action against builder-owner and bulldozer will run on illegal buildings
In this case, the police have identified the builder and the building owner and have started legal action by registering a case under various sections of culpable homicide and violation of construction rules. Taking a strict stance, the Hydra Commissioner has made it clear that all such illegal commercial hostels and residential structures built near drains and buffer zones in the area will be identified and demolished. The administration has also appealed to the people to immediately vacate such illegally and dangerously constructed structures.
look news india