Tel Aviv (Israel) : At least two people were killed and eight others were injured in a gunfight in Tel Aviv, Israel, on Thursday night. The Times of Israel reported that ten people were taken to the nearby Ichilov Hospital with gunshot wounds, two of whom were later pronounced dead. Police spokesman Eli Levy said the shooting was “a terrorist attack” that took place at “multiple locations” on Dizengoff Street. This street is one of the busiest streets in Tel Aviv dotted with cafes and bars.
Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said in a statement: “It has been a very difficult night. I express my condolences to the families of those killed and pray for the full recovery of the injured.” He said, “Security forces are chasing the terrorist who carried out the deadly stampede in Tel Aviv tonight. Wherever the terrorist is – we will meet him. And everyone who has helped him – indirectly or directly – will have to pay a price,” he said.
According to the police, one shooter was still absconding and hundreds of policemen, including the Border Police forces, were launching a massive search operation across the city. Levy asked Tel Aviv residents to “stay home, lock the door and avoid standing on the porch”. Israel police described the suspect as possibly a skinny man wearing a black shirt and black shorts. Police said the man is likely to be armed with a pistol. He also released a photograph of a man and asked the public for help in identifying him. Last week, a gunman opened fire in the Israeli city of Bnei Brak, killing five people. Earlier, there were terrorist attacks in Beer Sheva and Hadera, in which a total of 11 people were killed.
US closely monitoring developments of Tel Aviv terrorist attack: Blinken
The United States is closely monitoring developments in the investigation into the terrorist attack in Tel Aviv. “We are monitoring developments closely and will be in regular contact with our Israeli partners, with whom we stand firmly in the face of senseless terrorism and violence,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement. “Our thoughts are with the families and other loved ones of those killed and we wish the injured a speedy recovery,” he said. At least two people were killed and eight others were injured in a gunfight in Tel Aviv, Israel, on Thursday night.
Media reports said a lockdown has been put in place in Tel Aviv, while police and special military units patrol the streets and search for gunmen in buildings. This is the third terrorist attack in Israel in recent weeks.