The commission probing the death of former Tamil Nadu chief minister and popular right-wing leader J Jayalalithaa has finally completed the probe and is ready to submit a report to the state government.

Notably, the commission took more than four years to prepare the report on the circumstances of Jayalalithaa’s death.


According to sources, the commission is ready to prepare its report for submission to the state government as its term, which was extended several times, is set to end on June 24.

On Tuesday, former AIADMK spokesperson V Pugazenthi appeared before the panel and made his submissions that he had requested former Chief Minister K Palaniswami to be questioned.


However, sources in the commission did not confirm this. Pugazenthi was expelled from the AIADMK last year.

Who was involved in the inquiry?

A total of 159 witnesses have deposed before the commission, including top AIADMK leader O Panneerselvam, Jayalalithaa’s niece Deepa and nephew Deepak, doctors, top officials and AIADMK KC Vijayabaskar, M Thambi Durai, C Ponnaiyan and Manoj Pandian.


Deepa and Deepak had expressed doubts about the circumstances surrounding their aunt’s death. VK Sasikala, a confidante of the late chief minister, had filed an affidavit in 2018 through her lawyer.

Arumughaswamy Commission of Inquiry

The Arumughaswamy Commission of Inquiry, set up by the previous AIADMK government, began its hearing on November 22, 2017. Justice Arumughaswamy is a retired judge of the Madras High Court.

Sasikala’s affidavit pertained to the circumstances of Jayalalithaa’s hospitalization (admitted at Apollo Hospital) in 2016, among other points.

The objective of the committee was “to inquire into the circumstances and status of the late Chief Minister’s hospitalization on 22nd September, 2016 and subsequently to provide treatment till his unfortunate demise on 5th December, 2016.

Jayalalithaa’s niece raised doubts about the circumstances of the former CM’s death and alleged a political conspiracy behind her death.

However, the Apollo Hospital doctor involved in Jayalalithaa’s treatment said she was extremely ill and died of cardiac arrest.